Best of Bridge: The Family Slowcooker
It’s always good to have dependable things in your life. A car that starts. A favourite sweater. A recipe that always turns out. That’s why people like Best of Bridge cookbooks. The recipes in there always work. Simple, accessible ingredients, no fancy hours long cooking methods. Just solid, predictable outcomes. This Chocolate Caramel Pecan Upside Down Cake definitely fits the bill.
The latest Best of Bridge compilation – The Family Slowcooker, offers up a host of hands-off recipes that allow you more time to do what you love.
The remaining four members of the Bridge ladies are now joined by Elizabeth Chorney-Booth, Sue Duncan, and Julie Van Rosendaal. This new trio is set to carry on the tradition of their predecessors with everything from appetizers to desserts, condiments to beverages – all from your trusty slow cooker.
Along with the usual Crock-pot recipes – meatballs, pulled pork, and chili – there are recipes for more exotic offering, like Spiced Pineapple Tea, Scalloped Sweet Potatoes, and Balsamic Rosemary Pecans. The perennial favourites are in there too. Grape Jelly Meatballs, Cheese Fondue, and Applesauce all make an appearance. The new Bridge Ladies have done a great job blending their own personal styles with those of the original collaborators.
This cookbook is a great addition to the cookbook shelf of the busy family cook. There are enough photographs to provide inspiration. And speaking of inspiration, the snippets and food quotes are still sprinkled throughout this edition. As always, I am a huge fan of the hard cover, spiral bound print. No need to hunt down random heavy objects to keep your cookbook open. I am also very impressed with the index in this cookbook. Knowing a key ingredient is enough to lead you to a selection of recipes featuring that idea.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup prepared caramel topping
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Fit a 6 quart slow cooker with parchment paper, all the way up the sides
- Layer pecans, caramel sauce, and chocolate chunks.
- Set aside
- In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, beat together sugar and butter, add eggs and vanilla, stir well
- Alternately add flour and milk to the sugar and butter mixture (batter will be very thick)
- Spread batter evenly over ingredients in the slow cooker
- Trim edges of parchment so they are not taller than the crock
- Cover and cook on high 2 hours or until a tester comes clean in the middle.
- Remove crock and allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Invert onto platter and remove parchment
- Allow to cool completely.